Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Countdown is On!

A week to go and we'll either be hanging on for the deals to be done and the jostling for numbers or we'll know very clearly who has won. At this stage I think Labour will just nudge over the line, Queensland will certainly make it interesting but I get a sense that Tony's obfuscating over the costings of his policies and not really being able to break through in a strong enough way to differentiate himself from Opposition Leader to prime Minister will keep him out of the Lodge. I don't know that Labour 'deserves' to retain government but I think they probably will make a good fist of it if given another term.

My vote is leaning toward a good strong independent in the Reps and I'll vote below the line in the Senate but where my primary vote ends up I'm not sure.  I am a great advocate for the Senate being a true house of review and having as big a variety of 'voices' there as possible. Whilst I do have strong philosophical differences with the Greens I would like to see a couple more of them get through and another independent. It is unfortunate the Democrats aren't around still because this election would have probably got them at least one more senator in most states and that truly would have made a difference.

Whatever the outcome let's hope it's a clear result and one that sends a strong message to the next government about the future we are asking from them.  Make your vote count, participate in the privilege that is almost uniquely Australian and know that you are contributing to whatever this country and its Parliament delivers.  opting out is agreeing to being mute and foregoing your right to speaking out, it's also lazy and ultimately pointless...apathy is too easy, let's challenge ourselves to do 'hard' when it matters.  And let us expect nothing less from those who are given the honor and awesome responsibility of representing us.

No comments:

Post a Comment