Saturday, October 26, 2013

Day at Leisure

Today was, as the tour brochures say, a 'day at leisure'. The highlight was catching up with Mandy and gerry at the IFC center before they flew home. We had a pleasant lunch with a lot of other people (very busy time luncheon) and then Mandy required a coffee hit so we found a nice spot and satisfied her craving. Lovely little treat with the coffees were a mini ice cream in chocolate, rather like an Eskimo Pie. The coffee was not half bad either.

I'd walked slowly from the hotel to the Centre and found another book shop to explore (no purchase). At IFC there was a Dymocks HK branch and picked up a fun looking book about a bloke exploring China.A bit of people watching, and boy there were many, until the arrival of the weary travellers.

After bidding them adieu I was thinking of tackling the Man Mo Temple but was getting well tired so I checked out Godiva chocolates but they didn't have the little treats I like but then I spied a fantastic supermarket/food hall and explored it. Then I just hopped on a train (incredibly crowded and only 3.30) and crashed back at the hotel. A message for me to call the tour company and it looks like the China excursion on Sunday won't run because I'm the only one booked. I'm to call tomorrow morning to see if they have some more bookings but it seems unlikely so I'll need to have a think about alternative plans. Might go out to Lantau but we'll see.

After getting my second wind I went into the Temple Street Night Market which meant battling large crowds
still and a very packed train. Anyway the market was very close to the station and covers quite a distance with one part setting up still while the last bits were bustling and working away. I bought a couple of Ralph Lauren Polo Tops (unlikely to be genuine) for $9.50 total and a pair of casula sneakers for $30. I did beat her down on the shoes but I reckon they were probably overpriced but hey still cheaper than what I'd pay for them back home. Was gobsmacked by the array of um sex toys!

The train trip back to Central wasn't quite as packed but busy enough. it is amazing to see practically EVERY passenger eyes down looking at their phones or tablets, actually sad on so many levels.

Dinner at the Diamond Pearl which is in our building but accessed from the street. Quite an ordinary meal but had the fixed price menu and cost a whopping $51 (HKD)  for two mains and a dessert plus a drink.

Tomorrow Macau...

No comments:

Post a Comment