Sunday, March 8, 2015

Review: Second Best in Name But Not in Fact


The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Directed by:  John Madden
Written By:   Ol Parker
Rated:  PG      122 minutes

I really enjoyed the ‘Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’ back in 2012. It made me laugh and gave me a lump in the throat at times plus it made me want to get me over to India. The rapport between the actors, especially between Maggie Smith and Judi Dench along with Celia Imrie, Bill Nighy, Penelope Wilton and Ronald Pickup, was luscious. Throw into that the talented Dev Patel and you had magic.
Three years later along comes the sequel and not a lot has changed, it’s really just a variation on the theme with a bit of extra spice thrown in thanks to the marriage collapse between Nighy and Wilton and the tasty Richard Gere adding a certain ‘frisson’. Of the originals only Tom Wilkinson is missing lest they resurrect his dead character. The grey brigade has zing and uses smart lines, knowing looks and a bit of old fashioned acting talent to deliver what the young things might need CGI and stunts to deliver. It’s an old fashioned concept called damned good entertainment.

Briefly the residents of the Marigold Hotel are getting on with the daily doings while Sonny (Patel) is sussing out another property for his vision of a second Marigold. Concurrently he and his gorgeous fiancée Sunaina (Tena Desai) are in the final stages of their wedding preparations. Of course it won’t go smoothly on either front.
Richard Gere plays Guy an American writer (or is he?) and checks in at the same time as Lavinia (Tamsin Grieg) who provide the nits in the mattresses (fly in the ointment – get it?). I’m not sure Gere was right for the role, he seemed to me to stand out too much, his presence was too large for the rest of the film. I’m not sure if it was just his acting style (there were a few mannered facial expressions), perhaps he tried too hard but it jarred for me. Tamsin Grieg on the other hand slipped in amongst it all and worked well. Alright I have to profess my adoration for the divine Ms G, she can do no wrong but I honestly think she did very well. I am a fan of Mr Gere as well mind, he is one of the better film actors of his generation. I just didn’t like him in this.

All the returning actors were terrific, the script was tight and funny as well as moving when required (I think at times it tended to heavy handedness but managed to pull back enough). The direction was particularly accomplished and finely tuned; nothing was missed or lost here. A comedy such as this could have easily been left to tell itself but director John Madden kept a firm hold on it all. The cinematography was breathtakingly good and the ending hand me wanting to dance, dance dance.
There is a danger in having the words ‘second best’ in the title of a sequel. There will naturally be disappointments in any sequel and maybe human nature has us looking for the shortcomings. I might quibble over the length of the story and the stretches in logic and the occasional missing ‘truths’. In the end this film made me laugh a lot and I needed that on that day; it lifted my spirits and made me very happy that I live at the same time as the actors in it and the makers of it.

And yep, I still want to go to India.
3 ½ out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment