Thursday, December 22, 2011

Are You Being Served?

At this time of year the frustrations of being caught up in the crowds at shopping strips can take the shine of the ‘Christmas Spirit’ somewhat can’t it? Similarly the quality of customer service can impact too, although I have to say most shop staff remain remarkably cheery and courteous despite the crowds and the occasional grump (ahem).


It’s really very interesting to reflect on how customer service has not only changed but how it varies in different countries.

I always notice the difference between customer service in Australia and in the UK. I think people in stores in the UK are generally very polite and open, especially in large department stores. It’s also more likely over there for someone to ask you if you require assistance rather than let you wander around trying to find something. Where it all falls down though is in the follow through if they can’t assist. You might pop into an electrical shop and be greeted warmly, the question you have is ‘do you sell Siffelax Quadruple fusing for an LM3O mark 2’? The reply will simply be “Sorry sir we don’t stock them”. All fine in its own way but the difference is that in Australia you are more likely to get this response “Sorry sir we don’t stock them. We used to but they weren’t selling so we’ve stopped stocking them. You might try Dick Smith or somewhere like that.” Problem, reason and solution - customer service 1.0.1.

This came to the fore again recently with an exchange I had with a UK company. On a trip to the UK in 2008 I’d purchased a wheel along case to replace one that EasyJet had destroyed. It was a very agreeable purchase; the case was perfect and beautiful to manoeuvre. Unfortunately on a subsequent trip one of the wheels didn’t cope with the demands of being wheeled through the snowy streets of Copenhagen and started to fall apart.

Loving the case as much as I did I thought I’d like to get the wheel fixed rather than a new case. Logically (I thought), I’d contact the store I purchased the case from (the brand was sold ‘exclusively’ through them) and ask if there was a contact outside the UK for repairs.

A reply came back very promptly to say they couldn’t help and I should go direct to the manufacturer as the store didn’t cover the guarantee etc. I followed the suggestion almost immediately.

A guarantee came with the case which covered the case for five years and was most effusive about the quality of the product and why they were so certain that a consumer probably would never need to call on the guarantee etc etc.

So my intention in contacting them was to see who that had an arrangement with in Australia for repairs and then to have the repair done as part of the guarantee. I wasn’t focussed at all on costs rather in letting them know the product had let me down by being damaged after such little use and finding a remedy. I thought perhaps they would have wanted to be advised of the damage so they could review the materials being used so that the product could live up to their pride in them.

My first email was replied to within a few days, all very polite BUT saying the guarantee had no validity outside the UK, if I wanted it fixed I’d need to get a UK resident to return it to them or the store where it was purchased and then they would consider a refund. Even though I felt my claim was dismissed they asked me to send a photo and they’d determine if it was eligible for a refund.

My basic question about them having an arrangement with a company in Australia for repairs was ignored and they went straight to the guarantee issue and focussed their solution around that. I replied basically saying that and asking again for any suggestions around an agent in Australia and that I was concerned they didn’t appear to stand behind their product. I also cheekily remarked that if I needed a UK resident to take the case back for me maybe they could be that resident. While the remark was tongue in cheek I was gently nudging them that maybe for goodwill they could say ‘hey send it back to us and we’ll work something out’. Unfortunately the reply was even more definitive in their dismissal, sorry you’re disappointed, you’re probably going to stay disappointed because we’re unable to do anything for you.

I really do think in Oz a business might have come up with some ideas about what to do so that the product would be useable again. It might have been a list of names of repairers, it might have been something like ‘look we don’t have an arrangement with anyone there but see if you can get it fixed and send us the receipt and we’ll consider a refund’, they might have even given the specifications for the wheel so I could just ask a repairer or another luggage firm if they stocked them and could replace them.

I do ponder on why helpfulness or goodwill isn’t a natural instinct in retail, no matter the circumstances let alone the location. Maybe I just expect too much...

No comments:

Post a Comment