Friday, March 9, 2012

New York 3

Well it's been a busy couple of days, playing tourist keeps you on the move that's for sure.My last two posts give you a glimpse into some reflections I've been having in the few days I've been here - would love you to click on the comment section at the bottom of the post and share your responses - don't leave me all the way over here all on my own wondering what you're thinking :(    
     
I've batttled with the breakfast lottery for the last two mornings and have won both times. Very busy down there as the hordes gather at the feeding trough. Quite a decent selection, corn flakes have appeared, toast is available, juice, yighurt and the hot selection is pancakes, waffles, egg (I think a sort of solid scrambled concoction or maybe a mini omelette) and sausage.Even tea is available - if they just understood you need BOILING water not hot water to make a proper cup of tea.

The Empire State Building had a bit of a theme park feel to it but of course it's all real and the uniformed and ever so perky attendants are all for real. Gorgeous foyer of the true Art Deco style and the lift to the 80th floor took about thirty seconds, then you change to another one for the final six floors to get to the Observation Deck and an outside one at that. Clear day so you could nearly see forever, spectacular hardly comes close and one gets to appreciate just how HUGE the Big Apple actually is. Stayed there about an hour ($22). Got quite a nice 'posed' photo as a souvenir along with a nice book. Back on the ground and had a sit with a cuppa and cookie 'sandwich' in Greeley Park near Macys. A walk through Macys which was a bit underwhelming before I made my way over to MOMA only to find it was closed on Tuesdays...actually it's the Met Museum of Art I want to see so maybe going to the wrong place and finding it closed was fortuitous

St Patrick's Cathedral was the next stop and a Mass in progress so felt a bit naff wandering around while people were conversing with their God. Not the most impressive cathedral I've seen but certainly a place of history and worth seeing for that - a shrine to St Andrew my confirmation Saint so I lit a candle and paused for a prayer there.Over then to Broadway and Times Square which is a hive of activity with the requesite infestation of crowds, the TKTS booth particularly had a huge crowd waiting to be looked after.Also saw the Ed Sullivan Theatre where the Beatles and Elvis performed and which is now the home of the Late Show (on 'hiatus' this week so couldn't go even if I wanted). Poked my head in to the Hello Deli but Rupert Gee must have been out.

My New York moment was a hot dog from a sidewalk vendor. Now they are not a rare thing, in fact they are on most corners, there are also Halal, Korean, Turkish, Knish and Indian vendors so no reason to starve. The dog was only $2 and a great non event.

Back to the Hotel to refresh and change and then head out to my first Broadway show - 'Other Desert Cities' at the Booth Theater.The theatre was a bit ordinary and small but the play itself was excellent with a wonderful performance by Stockard Channing - a little bit Katherine Hepburn, a little bit Nancy Reagan, Judith Light was sensational. The play itself could do with a bit of work as it is a tad thin at times and plays dramatic moments a bit too predictably. The part of the father (Stacey Keach, not great)is underwritten and yet would be a terrific strong character with a few tweaks.Audience gave it a standing ovation but I suspect that's more routine than as a recognition of something outstanding.          

On the way to the theatre I had a look at Rockefeller Center and the skating rink, really pretty all lit up.

I loved the fact the play started at 7 because it meant I was back in the hotel room by 9.30. Oh I would love Aussie producers to pick up that little idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment