Thursday, February 13, 2014

Going Up

So a little bit of a sleep in this morning and rather pleased the Tube Strike is not going ahead this week.

The flat is only a short walk to Cromwell Road so I set off in the damned, bloody nuisance of rain to the V&A, my absolute favorite museum. Just had a quick look through including the mesmerizing Cast Courts and I just had to have a refreshment in the gorgeous cafe.

Then onto the Tube for a short ride over to the British Museum and an hour or so in there looking at the Rosetta Stone, the King's Library, the various 'Hoards' and the Parthenon Sculptures (Elgin Marbles). I am on the side of either returning these to the Greeks or at least having a
sharing arrangement (ie permanent loan) but they are lovely to see and are displayed very well. Even George Clooney bought into the argument at his press conference here for the 'Monuments Men'. He did rather diminish his argument somewhat though referring to them as the 'Pantheon marbles'...oops. Lots of school groups around which was both great to see and very tiresome.

Next out to what is called 'Emirates Greenwich' for a ride on the cable car. It was a bit blowy and so the car had stopped temporarily but was up and running ten minutes later when I could see absolutely no change to the weather. Only £3.50 to go up and off I went in a cabin very similar to the one in Hong Kong without the glass floor. The view is pretty uninspiring but it does show off another part of London I guess. I can admit that about half way it got very blowy and the cabin was swaying a bit more than I felt confident in. I was debating if this was the way I
wanted to die but thought if it were to plummet I had no control over it so just managed my anxiety level as much as I could. Even the batteries in my camera carked it just as the ride ended - a bit ominous don't you think.

I had thought we'd probably end up somewhere near the Greenwich Park but we weren't so I sussed out the Docklands Light Rail Station a few minutes walk away and took it into Tower Hill and walked over to the Tube into Embankment. It was only about 3.00 so I dropped into the Cafe in the Crypt at St Martins in the Fields for a warming cuppa and rhubarb crumble with custard - oh yes.

Thusly revivified (bit of Dickens for you) I grabbed a bus around to Victoria and home. A couple hours rest and then frocked up to pop into the Wyndham's Theatre to see what was one of the best bits of theatre I've EVER seen, 'The Weir'. This Irish play with five actors was funny and moving and had great direction as well as very fine acting. It was a delight and a joy to see and a privilege. I had a great seat in the front row middle of the upper circle so perfect for viewing. I also appreciated it ran through without an interval (although a few audience members found it a challenge and were coming and going). So I was back in the flat around 9.40.

Watching the late news the flooding continues and spreading, even closing in on London although the Thames Barriers should help. It must be absolutely desperate for the people who have had weeks and weeks of rain without a break and are having to evacuate or endure. There isn't expected to be any respite either for a few weeks yet.

I must confess I am over the rain, the drizzle and the frigging wind that cuts into you no matter if you've got a hood or a cap or a scarf or gloves on. In those few moments when the sun comes out it is like a moments blessing and I just lap it up - I'd hate  to have my Vitamin D levels tested at the moment.I'm sure those of you who have been living through heat waves are probably thinking you wouldn't mind some of this weather but trust me, apart from the lovely low temps the rest of it is appalling.


No comments:

Post a Comment