Monday, February 3, 2014

It's Sunday, But Who's Speaking Please?

Traditionally (well for me) if I'm in London for at one Sunday I make my way to Speakers' Corner at Hyde Park and take in the many folk who delight in expressing an opinion or philosophy or view of some sort. A usually lively exchange ensues with the crowds who come to watch, listen or just be pains in the proverbial.

And so it was this sunny, chilly Sunday morning that I took the short walk to the Park, stopping at the gorgeous(and for me significant but that's a whole other story) Italianate Fountains which looked wonderful today.
A stroll along the Serpentine to the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain an odd,twisted and rather baffling construction (well thinking about it that makes it rather apropos for the memory of that strange creature)Have to report the water is now murky and smelly, there was much more water foul around than people and it was all somewhat sad.. Rather fascinated though that the water changes direction at some point, neat.

Onward and it seemed a long walk to my destination and reliable disappointment. It seems, yes, they're 'doing it up a bit, so only one 'speaker' and about five people 'engaging'. Oh dear.

I'd stayed near High Street Kensington a few times but never managed to get to Holland Park so I descended into the Underground and trained around to Notting Hill Gate and the quick walk down the road and into said park. Very lush and well laid out with a rather nice mansion (or remains thereof) in the middle. The sports ground getting a good work out and dogs everywhere plus those cute little squirrels bobbing around.After the hugeness of Hyde Park it did seem rather tiny but it's pretty impressive.

Now my familiar High Street and a drop into my all too familiar favorite Waterstones Book Shop, oh oh 20% off all books. Can't resist I'm afraid I bought a couple of books and was best pleased.

Many happy memories came back walking along 'High Street Ken'and on back to Kensington Gardens (really the 'other half' of the area that includes Hyde Park on one side). Kensington Palace looked lovely in the sun but they have done something a bit odd with the entrance gates (you'll remember the gates where all those flowers were left when Di died). They have taken down the fence which was the same height as the gates and put in a railing of about a metre height and so the gates sort of just sit there looking a tadd odd...just sayin'.

Well I had been doing quite a bit of walking and time was now getting on. My new shoes were reminding me they hadn't quite been worn in yet so I grabbed the number 10 bus over to Kings Cross. This trip was a nice break although I hadn't quite reckoned on it being nearly an HOUR such was the traffic and pace. Kings Cross looks simply spectacular these days and a worthy neighbour to the recently upgraded St Pancras next door. I had oped to get my ticket for the day trip to Lincoln but stupidly hadn't brought the wrong bit of paper with me - dumb. Anyhoo it was a bit of a trip 'away' as they say - apparently travelling form the other side of the earth isn't enough!

Down onto the Underground again and into Picadilly to suss out details of another trip I want to do. Walked down to Trafalgar Square and the thousands of people there celebrating Chinese New Year, fantastic and lots of happy people. Popped into the Visitors Centre and really no progress on getting to Leeds Castle without spending what could be a healthy deposit on purchasing my own castle. Anyway the guy was very helpful and candid about the options but encouraging on going if I can get there. I did get my London Eye ticket so all not lost.

Finished up at Garfunkles in Northumberland Avenue and a refreshing bangers and mash which went down a treat.

It's suddenly 3.30 and I carry my weary, stodge filled bod back to Paddington and my refuge.

Lordy this place tires me out.

PS: In the previous post I posed a question about the oddity of the buildings in one picture. Well a couple of creative guesses (no, not homes of the famous) BUT no cigar so far. I did find out today though that they feature in an episode of the new season of 'Sherlock' which might give you a hand (not sure if the episodes have started screening yet over there so hopefully it gives you an avenue for more creativity).




No comments:

Post a Comment