Thursday, February 13, 2014

In-Spires

Really I could have done with a day in the flat vegging but with so many places flooded the options are limited and I thought why not. I do like Oxford and if I return to the UK it would be a shame not too visit the lovely city again.

Amazingly all connections connected and I arrived at the Oxford tube bus stop (don't ask) just as the bus arrived and on I hopped. We passed through lovely countryside and a bit of water lying around. An hour and a half later, after seeing how high the Cherwell (or maybe the Thames) was, I alighted in Oxford to a bit of a windy cold day and proceeded to explore. I found time for a coffee and scone in Debenhams, a looksee through the wondrous Blackwell's bookstore and see a few sights. What excited me most was that Balliol College had its gardens, chapel and hall open, the first time any of the colleges have been open on any of my visits. Very beautiful although the Hall was smaller than I imagined. it was in post lunch mode so the smell of the meal was still wafting and one of the tables was still set up. Great portraits of a few pollies (and Prime Ministers) who had been alumni of Balliol.

Time passed quickly and I went the wrong way to the bus stop but eventually found it but it took forever to get on as people were asking questions, fumbling for money and just faffing about. It was nearly time for the next bus by the time I got on but eventually in and comfortable and back in London at 6.00. A very lovely day.


No comments:

Post a Comment