Saturday, February 15, 2014

Wild Wednesday and On the BBC

So they didn't call it Wild Wednesday or Super Storm Wednesday for nothing. The wind was fearsome and the rain torrential as I spent the day in Birmingham.

A really lovely Chiltern train from Marylebone got me there in just under two hours arriving at Moor Street which is only a quick walk to the city centre. Drenching rain as I scramble into the Visitors booth...needless to say the city map I had grabbed struggled through the few hours I was in that pretty interesting city getting soggier by the minute.

Lunch at House of Fraser and a drop in at the terrific Art Gallery and Museum of Birmingham plus a few arcades and various streets passed the time nicely. I'd certainly like to see the city in finer weather as it looks like it has the best of a city and a decent history to learn about. The train was packed on return as I think many were making their escape to dryer ground before this area was cut off too.

Thankfully Thursday turned out to be not so dire although their had been a hell of a wind storm through the night. Headed in to Green Park for my second London Walks tour, this time around Mayfair. Great guide Richard told us about the Duchess of Devonshire, the Prince Regent, Beau Brummel, Primrose, Mary Robinson, Ian Fleming, the American Embassy and even the Beatles. Loved it. Even went to Shephard Market which is a gem of a spot and the square that Jeffrey Archer came unstuck.  

On the way to the walk I was a bit saddened to go past St James Church in Piccadilly and notice an old tree which used to stand in the courtyard had been removed. This tree had stood there for many years and was on the Heritage Register. It used to be known for inviting people to give it a hug and enjoy the tranquility one felt for that moment. Gone. Sad. 

The walk finished at Marble Arch so I dropped into M&S for lunch before heading up to the BBC (as you do) for a tour of Broadcasting House. Very entertaining and interesting to see, especially the incredible news centre  which has hundreds of people in it. If you've ever seen a BBC News Service with the shot of people at desks behind the readers that's where I was. Did you know the BBC News is seen by about 245 million people? Got to do a fake Radio drama in one studio and a real buzz to go into the theatre where the Goons broadcast from.

It was only about 3.30 when that finished so I hopped on a bus to Covent Garden for a wander, quite busy despite the chill returning. At last after all these years I finally got to see inside St Paul's Covent Garden, known as the actor's church. Gorgeous little church and nicely done up as it had been the funeral of  Roger Lloyd-Pack and a memorial for Simon McCorkindale. Seeing the plaques for so many actors on the walls was very touching.


I'm pretty weary and my feet give me a lot of grief by the end of the day which is concerning, maybe I'm just overdoing it. Sometimes I feel like I'm 67 not 57 and sometimes I would like to stop and go home. The weather is wearing and unpleasant and depressing and I don't even live in a flood prone area (yet).

Oh well...onwards

No comments:

Post a Comment