Monday, February 17, 2014

Home Stretch

The Banqueting House is somewhere I had never been to until my previous trip to London; it always seemed
to be closed on previous trips with repairs or functions. So I thought I'd go again this time and glad I am. It is a beautiful place with the lovely Reuben's murals on the ceiling and the history relating to Charles 1 etc. Only one other person in there this visit so had a good look around. They have rather stooped a bit with a few colorful bean bags on the floor for those who want to lie down and take in the beauty of the ceilings. Think something a bit more in keeping with the 17th Century might be worth seeking.

From one Westminster icon to another with a tour of the Houses of Parliament on Saturday. Oh my such splendor and magnificence. Quite a thrill to start off in Westminster Hall, the only remaining part of the original Palace and a place I'd always wanted to go into. Beautiful vaulted ceiling and the perfect entree into the Parliament building. The gold, the frescoes, the lush furnishings, the tiled and carpeted floorings, such splendor I have not seen before. I thought Versailles was probably the grandest place I'd ever seen but I do think this gobsmackingly awesome building tops it. A really good and informative hour and a half. It is interesting to note the differences between the British system and the Australian and yet we derive ours from the Westminster system.

A walk through lovely St James' Park up to Buckingham Palace and into the shop. I'd have liked to go into the Mews but the financially struggling monarch charges quite a lot to see her sights (and the shop was pretty heavily priced as well..a pretty tacky mug was ₤25 for instance) so I gave it a miss.

Changed over from the apartment back to the hotel in Paddington and was welcomed back like a regular which was nice. Also nice was the sun shining and I took myself for a walk in Hyde Park. A few more at Speakers Corner this time but still only about half a dozen speakers so not like previous times.

So it's the home stretch, only one full day and then it's airport time.

I did think at one point today while I was walking that this might be my last long trip to London. If I do come back it might be just fora few days on the way to somewhere else. Of course one shouldn't take for granted that one will ever come back. Not really sure how I'd feel if I never came back but I do feel mighty privileged to have ever been here in the first place let alone about ten times. Many people never get here at all for one reason or another so I am very thankful as this city has shown me many happy times and I've always felt at home here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Terry....I have just quickly read through your adventures in this trip and just wanted to thank you for taking me along for the trip, plus have a safe flight home!! Love Kathryn

    ReplyDelete